Has the word “busy” replaced the word “fine” as your automatic response when asked by someone how you are doing? The world is moving faster and faster and we have more expectations and demands on our time. The new normal is that both parents are working, the kids have dance class, football, piano lessons, you name it! Fast food and delivery pizza have become our go-to dinners and a full nights sleep is a dream. It’s time to slow down in a high speed world and speed up that weight loss!
Being at your maximum speed all day every day it is taking a toll on your body. You may not know it or feel it but your body probably isn’t functioning optimally if you are stressed. Some secret signs of stress are headaches, pre-mature hair graying, heart palpitations, profuse sweating and anxiety. Life is busy, but that doesn’t mean your health has to suffer. Luckily with some minor changes we can lessen the effects on our bodies and minds.
Here are six simple tips to help you get and stay healthy in our fast paced world:
- Eat Slower: If you can’t slow down your life to slow down in a high speed world you can slow down your meals. Take the time to chew your food and consciously eat and enjoy your meal. Take smaller bites and eat slowly and steadily. You will benefit with better digestions and less calorie consumption as well!
- Meal Prep: This is easier said than done but if you aren’t doing it yet you must! Set small goals, meal prep 2 dinners this week. Not only will you save time with dinner preparation but you will save time and money at the grocery store as well.
- Say NO: Start to say no. If overtime isn’t required at your job, say no. If you have made cupcakes for the last 10 school events, this time, say no. If you are a people pleaser this will take some practice. Start small by saying no to simple tasks. All those 10-minute tasks you say no to will add up so that you can slow down!
- Ditch the Drive-Thru: There are so many quick and healthy items you can get in a pinch. Rather than grabbing the family burgers and fries for dinner go to the grocery store and get a pre-cut bag of veggies, a bagged salad and a rotisserie chicken. For a quick snack many stores have snack size ready to eat veggies, salads and even peeled hard-boiled eggs!
- De-Stress: Put on some relaxing music, close your eyes and visualize something calming to you for 5 minutes. If you have more time, take it! Go on a brisk walk for 5-10 minutes. This is the perfect time of year to enjoy the outdoors! If all else fails watch a funny cat video on YouTube, you’ll notice your stress levels coming down almost instantly!
- Brain Dump: If you aren’t able to make all, or any of these changes right away you must get into a habit of de-stressing and decompressing from the day. If your mind is going a mile a minute spend a few minutes every evening jotting down the items you need to accomplish for the next day. Get it out of your brain and start to relax.
No time is no excuse. Take a break and slow down in a high speed world!
Get healthy, be health, stay healthy!